At 15:50 this afternoon, the cattle were happily grazing in the southwest corner of the site, enjoying plenty of grass and leaves from the trees and bushes. They were all friendly, pausing their grazing to come over and say hello, with steer 200 especially enjoying some neck and shoulder scratches. Afterwards, they gathered around me, content to just relax and chew their cud. The flies were out in force today, swarming around their eyes and noses as well as gathering across their shoulders and sides. They all appreciated having the flies gently brushed from their faces, but the relief was short-lived, with the flies quickly returning.
After a while, the cattle drifted off into the surrounding area to resume grazing, gradually venturing north towards the corral, but steer 200 didn't venture far. He would return and come right up to me, content to just stand with me while I helped keep the flies from his face. He also thoroughly enjoyed a long back rub, shifting forwards and backwards to ensure I didn't miss a spot. The others soon returned too, happy to rest in the shade and chew their cud. By 16:40, they had started grazing again, crossing the main path and heading over to the trees and bushes by the western fence line. I said my goodbyes soon after and headed off to check the water. All four were happy, relaxed, and looking well, although they certainly had to contend with plenty of flies today.
The pond still had some water in it, but with very little rain in the last week, the level continues to drop. There is still water pooled at the fire hydrant sign in the northwest corner of the site, as well as in the surrounding run-off areas. I noticed there was some fence damage by the fire hydrant sign, with the second-from-bottom strand of barbed wire missing and appearing to have been either cut or snapped (photos below).
At 16:55, I had just set off to say a final goodbye to the cattle when I heard some noise nearby in the woodland and looked over to see them approaching. All four wandered over before heading on to have a refreshing drink from the pools. Whilst drinking from the larger pool near the hydrant sign, steer 200's collar gave an audible warning, and he quickly moved off, but soon joined cow 201 and steer 207 drinking from the water in the run-off area. Please could the NoFence boundary be extended slightly to prevent this from happening? I said my goodbyes just after 17:10, leaving them all resting peacefully in the woodland.
The cattle were all good today.
Hi Gordon, thank you - we have adjusted the boundary.
ReplyDelete